Thursday, June 19, 2008

Chicken and Angel Hair Pasta with Artichoke and White Wine Sauce



There are two kinds of recipes I work from: Those I learned from my mother and those I picked up from friends or various food service jobs I've held. This one was a favorite in my house growing up. This can be made with boneless skinless breasts, bone-in thighs or legs, or in this case boneless skinless thighs.

One of the best things I learned from watching my mom cook as a kid was to always sear and brown the chicken ahead of time and then finish it with the sauce later. I usually roll my chicken in a little flour so it browns easier in the pan. Then I sautée the shallots in olive oil, add a little chicken broth and white wine and then simmer the chicken until it's cooked all the way through. Then I add artichokes, fresh or dried basil, and toss it with angel hair pasta. I believe this one was featured in my mom's 15-minute gourmet cookbook she compiled for her friends one Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mom adds:
alternatively, you can cook the chicken almost all the way thru and add it only at the end so it doesn't steam. this is how my friend rita would do it, even putting another heavy frying pan on the chicken to keep it frying rather than steaming. you can also add some sundried tomatoes or a few cut up cherry tomatoes toward the end (the sun dried make a fine juice when you put them in pyrex and cover with just enough water and microwave for a minute or so). This gives you a little more flavorful sauce than just broth or white whine. or a few green peppercorns.